This post is the fourth in a series in which we reached out to municipal candidates to ask their heritage platform. Responses will be posted in the order received.
The fourth to respond was Michael Prue, who has just ended a council term and is currently running for Mayor for the Town of Amherstburg. The responses are in the candidate’s own words only slightly edited in a way that doesn’t in any way change what they said.
The preservation of heritage buildings is vital to the the financial well being of Amherstburg.
I would propose the following.
1. Complete the Properties of Interest Designations to identify all historic properties
2. Move quickly to designate properties which face demolition
3. Highlight all Historic properties by promoting a walking tour from Fort Malden to Belle Vue and all points in between, eg Miracle Mile
4. Publicize our rebate program to encourage heritage designations and adaptive reuse
5. Plaque all new designations
6. Encourage the Town Council to participate in the Belle Vue restoration.
To reach out to Mr. Prue, visit his website
. Picture of Mr. Prue from his Wikipedia page. You can find it by clicking here